Monday, July 17, 2017
MINUTES - JULY 5, 2017
Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society
7:00 pm July 5, 2017
President Kathy Lang called the meeting to order.
We would like to welcome visitors, Pam Bost, (a beginning watercolorist from North Carolina who was visiting her cousin, Claudia Taylor), Nancy Schwartz and Sharon Hewer to the club meeting this month.
· Fall Workshop Chairman, Pat Lester reported that this year’s workshop will be held on Oct 27 and 28. She is interested in having Chris Campbell, of Indiana, come to give the workshop this year. It would be a two day event with Chris. Chris is known as a very hands on teacher who works well with artists and is open to the interests of the participants.
Mary Fleischmann, our Annual Exhibit Chair, reminded everyone of the details for our upcoming Club Exhibition:
· This year the sitters will also be encouraged to paint while they sit.
· One person of each sitting pair will need a smart phone and download the app for electronic payment for paintings that sell during their sitting time.
· Aug 2nd will be our meeting date, followed by the show hanging. Tom Schroeder has agreed to set the show this year. Every painting will be in the best spot!!
· On Aug 5th the show will start
· The show reception will occur on Sunday, Aug. 6th, from 1-4.
· This year’s judge will be Rachel Rubin Wolf, who was our presenter from the April meeting.
· Deb Ward will do name tags for the paintings.
· The show ends Sunday, Aug. 27th. Paintings can be picked up on August 29th between 10-12. Paintings can also be picked up Sunday at the end of the session.
· The Anderson Senior Center will tour the exhibit. This year, to assist with the presentation of the show during the tour, each exhibiting artist provide a write up of their paintings with entries.
· On Aug 20th, there will be music by the Cincinnati Chamber Orchestra at the Barn during our show. Carol Fencl has agreed to stay after her sitting to be present while people cross over from the music to see our work.
· The Barn typically takes 20% commission on sales of paintings during the show. It is the responsibility of the artist to make this connection with The Barn.
The August 2nd meeting will be an informal, open Q & A session with coffee and donuts. There will be no invited presentation. This is an opportunity for you to ask questions about what you or others are working on with your work.
As announced last month by Nancy Wisely, our Scholarship Chair, this year’s Scholarship Award winner is Madison De Atley. She will be present at our August meeting to receive her award and will also submit two of her paintings to be part of our show. We will feature her paintings at the beginning of our show.
Membership report by Lydia Rittinger, announced one new member, a former program presenter from earlier this year, Heidi Hanssen. Welcome Heidi! We do want to announce that new membership dues are reduced to $25 starting in August. The new Club membership directory was sent out via email earlier this spring. If you still need a printed copy please contact Lydia or Kathy.
Submitted by Tom Schroeder, Secretary, Greater Cincinnati Watercolor Society, July 2017.